Wednesday, June 11, 2014

...{ sturgill simpson }...

  new country can kind of seem like any oxymoron when you listen to a new country station.
it;s the same OLD shit and it feel's far from country. Most new country sounds about as terrible as new hip hop or r&b. made for the masses coors light bullshit.
   ok and heres how this works to me when someones tell's you about some music that is good and you go off telling everyone about it..... which i'm doing right now. you do this... Eric Shea thanks for telling me about -sturgill simpson- it was the first i ever heard his name. And now i've had quite a few people ask me if i've heard him.... i say "yea my buddy eric told me about him.  On the contrary don't be an asshole and post some photo of the dude and say "look it up" so everyone knows you're in  -the know- when most likely the song your'e saying to look up, we've already heard. Instagram is shrinking the world, it's showing us some beautiful things but it's also creating these beings that aren't who they pretend to be. if you want to know me, the crass asshole, sensitive shell collector that i am, scroll through the last how ever many years of this blog, then we can get a coffee, burger and beer.
sponge bob square brain's are all around us waiting to slurp up the next big boom. put your chopper inside your scooby doo van towed by your rat rod and drive it into the ocean. i have the scuba gear. will trade for a nice martin acoustic guitar. humble is good until people try to elbow you out of their way and jump your claim and then you have to rub your shit in their face..... or just wait for their inevitable -blow it- cause they got into the gates of the wonka factory and ugustus gloop-ed something you put so much of yourself into. take and bake.
 it's total sun's out bun's out day.
and thanks sturgill for writing some songs about dmt and buddha and life out side lite beer

18 comments:

the Dutch said...

Whoa...

http://thebackstreetbucket.blogspot.com/2014/06/httpsitunes.html?m=1#comment-form

Jim said...

I was turned on to Sturgill by a friend a few weeks ago...have had him on a continuous loop ever since!

BUZZARDSALINAS said...

haha...well said Max...u are willy wonka...

Dan said...

thanks. stoked to hear both these bands. new to me.

Duane said...

Just discovered this guy a coupla weeks ago myself. Good stuff.

Celisse Muller said...

Thanks for Sturgill.

Paul said...

Good choice, been listening to his new record for a while. Thought his first was decent, but the latest is great. A little different, but you may really like Cory Branan...I think he's one of the best songwriters out there (evidenced by "The Corner" or "Survivor Blues"). Jason Isbell is even more approachable but can sing his ass off and writes a mean tune too...

Sheabones said...

Great post, Max! Speaking of Ugustus Gloop, I'm posting from inside a van in the middle of the German countryside, taking a break from reading Rick Strassman's The Spirit Molecule - inspired by Sturgill's Turtles, of course.

Chris said...

I was turned onto Simpson by my writer friend Benjamin Whitmer. I think you'd dig Ben's work. His first novel Pike came out a few years ago. Then he was the "ghost writer" on the Charlie Louvin autobiography Satan Is Real (i.e. Charlie told the stories, Ben did all the writing) and now I've just read an ARC of his latest book, Cry Father which will be out in September and is just a kick in the face. Great stuff along the lines of that JOE movie you mentioned.

E.K.A said...

check out lucas hudgins....and also that one album from damon bramblett. sturgill is good one record, live he cant cut it i reckon. tries that waylon nasal action all too much and just ends up with bad diction.

second album is better than his first though.

when in doubt....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWu4b33uySU&feature=kp

Hux said...

Max,

I like how you state what we should all know as the understated obvious but a refresher is a meal best served often. First Ive heard of Strugill but a sincere thanks....a house without music is just a place to eat, sleep and shit.

Kegkiller said...

Right on point. I like what I like and if people hate me for liking it not worth my time. Cheers

max schaaf said...

thanks for the comments and input guys

747 said...

Max, I hope you write a book someday. Thanks.

Louis David said...

speachless meaningless unuseful comment

I was not here
I didnt read
I didnt listen
I didnt learn

Louis David said...

speachless meaningless unuseful comment

I was not here
I didnt read
I didnt listen
I didnt learn

WhitelinePsycho said...

Never heard of them til now, like it a lot. Everyone welcome just leave the baggage at the door. Good on you Max, make the call.

two_pan_dan said...

Strong. Solid kristopherson feel.