Wednesday, March 26, 2014

thanks to dice magazine for letting me be involved with the DICE issue 54-Q.

 thanks to jason webber for the kind words.
nice to have some of the
friends in the same issue.
Most of all i really liked writing
these words below.
I like writing in general and to write about
things you love is alright with me.


stay tight, keep it upright.  max schaaf spring 2014


     They were never gone, the fire always burned. Caves have been replaced by garages and we are the men still blowing on the embers to keep it lit. Some days are spent hunched over it, feeling it's warmth and trying to make it come alive, to burn bright. A good day is spent running and roaring with the blaze bright and fierce. Alone or in packs, showing the world the inferno you've built.

     My name is Max and I'm fortunate enough to hold this fire, and to be able to point it into a direction that completely defines freedom in my eyes. I've always leaned to vehicles of expression and the opportunity for individuality. Once I was lost, but then they found me. Through skateboarding and choppers you have the ability to pick the road you want to travel, get in line,fit in, join, rebel, be alone, the choice is yours. Do your thing. Push or coast, hopefully do both. For me it's so personal it almost seems foolish to try to explain, but the flip side is sometimes I want to shout it into the air and shake the world awake to see the loves that i've found. I've made a million mistakes, followed dead ends, been broken, but when the air is right, the road is smooth, and there is a warm breeze on your face as the sun set's between the grips of your handlebars, you realize that life is for living and now is the time. Write your own pages and live your own dreams. 4Q is what i've written, it's the action not the image and an ideal i've always thought worthy of putting my soul into.

 Years ago on an rainy Oakland day, i lurked at a magazine shop's motorcycle section. It was the typical bombardment of welded together cob webs, beer tap shifters, acorn swazi nut doo rag horse shit…. but then there was a small zine sized rag, it was unassuming and simple and it was issue #1. The magazine was called Dice and i bought and i will always thank them for being a breath if fresh air when everything else "chopper" was a turd.




get it.....

oh snap....  ok lets ride.

big kid bmx.

my Mom and I, her first bike photo shoot. stoked on this photo.

i like turk, and his bike, and the pics of him and his lady on it.

my Brazilian brother.... Paulo of Joe KIng helmets fame.. seen here with his new
clear helmet.

dan and his righteous machine

i don't know these people but they look really happy
and it didn't look to forced and corny.  made me want to
double up with my bubble butt.

13 comments:

BUZZARDSALINAS said...

looks like a awesome book full of rad people and rad words...congrats, you definetly deserve it..hope to find that one..

WhitelinePsycho said...

No editing required, congrats on all counts.

Sheabones said...

Just picked up a copy at Issues - love it! Especially that shot of you and Ramona. AND that batwing steez on your friend Paulo's tank!

JLuf said...

I'm sure you've heard this before and undoubtedly will again but your writing is every bit as inspiring as the bikes you build. You have a unique perspective that's not often heard. Those who check the blog regularly appreciate the words as much as the photos. Keep on keeping on Max and thank you for more updates, it got a little lean there for a while

Throwback said...

Rite on man!!! Dice is nice. To me there alot more responsable for this current vintage chopper revival then most people even realize.

Louis David said...

double up with my bubble butt / nuff said !

Dan said...

xox

jason webber said...

"...the inferno that you've built"
(smiling)

max schaaf said...

thanks dude.
mr webber... hopefully meaning bike is not on fire.

Davidabl said...

"Years ago on an rainy Oakland day, i lurked at a magazine shop's motorcycle section'

Was that DeLaurer's by any chance?

max schaaf said...

david... no, love delaurer's but they didn't have it then. Tower records(rip) in emeryville did.

Davidabl said...

"Tower records(rip) in emeryville "

It hadn't occurred to me that DicE had been around so long.. But 54 issues @4x per year..I can do the math:-)

TuRk said...

stoked to be apart of it dood