Sunday, March 17, 2013

terminal masonite termite

my old ramp im my mom's warehouse/home. sometime around 1995. pre mark gonzales painting, pre steel transitions. bryan schaefer and i built the ramp in 3 days. loved seeing the thing take shape hour by hour. it was a lil over 11 feet tall (which is small these days) and crammed the 22ft width between the walls. the ceiling was about 22ft so on a very good day you could get a scrape at it or the occasional limb brush across. i would skate this thing at least 6 days a week for at least 2 -4 hours. listening to kill em all and ride the lightening over and over. obsessed to say the least. the sessions could be so intense... some visitors were to never return. a vert ramp like this, shoe horned between those warehouse walls was no place to "chill". it was warfare.. for this reason i skated by myself a lot. it was street skatings heyday and west oakland wasnt really on the map like it is now. i remember trying to learn 540's ....alone. i probably was listening to minor threat or fugazi, getting trapped in my head, trying to manipulate my body and skateboard, i pumped two good sized backside airs and put it all into the 540.... rather than spinning i just launched upside down, feet towards the ceiling head pointed towards the ground and about 17'ft in mid air. all bad.... time stopped and everything went silent..... next thing i knew i was sliding head first down the ramp on my back gradually coming to a halt dead in the center of the ramp, staring at the ceiling. no imapct, no pain, maybe a shit streak in the boxers. it was one of those "that's the last time i skate alone" moments. that lasted about two days. man, a lot of people used to skate and a lot will tell you about it. but the way i see the young guys skate now, everyday... all day, that shit is intense. I was the same way. so many slams, so much pain.... but the thrill, the outcome, fuck. nothing compared. i've been skating lots again lately, mostly vert. So damn humbling. it's all still in there, in my body.. but its a game of patience and confidence. I saw my friend eric slam a slam i would wish on no man. he took a 30 mile an hour whoops right into the opposing wall. splat... thud, a slab of meat tossed out the back of a pickup. 40 some years old and he scraped himself up and redid the trick. it was fucking tough, and i think that kind of shit builds so much character. "nothing cool is easy"

19 comments:

Jon said...

I always wished I got to skateboard vert more, I loved it when the rare times I did. Nice writing once again friend. I wish I was 12 again.

WhitelinePsycho said...

Huge kudos to you mate, and to anyone else still going hard at 40+, all my biggest respect. My hips, knees and wrists are clearly chickenshit.

jason webber said...

its such a powerful thing...hearing it from others lets me know I'm not crazy.

thanks.

Louis David said...

thanks Max for the life lesson

Chris said...

Good Inspiration thanks, Never Give Up!

BUZZARDSALINAS said...

Those days were the best ...building for days and the gratification to skate it after...as soon as it was skateable we usually never finished it ...just destroyed it...trying to install that in my son...thanks for bringin me back..think imma get the jigsaw out...

Dave-O said...

Love this! Thanks for the story. Skating has been such an important part of my life...here I sit at almost 40 and still fiend to go skate like I am still 12 years old and have so many good memories over all these years though some painful moments like you said. Waiting for this winter to go away in the midwest is painful. See you at BF5!

FLA0215 said...

perfect Max.

Sheabones said...

Damn humbling indeed. Thank you, Max. Hope you have a rad time in Tampa.

wookiepelt said...

Very good writing.
I am a fellow skater, just turned 40.
There is something different about skating.
It is raw, individualistic, fun.
I like how it has changed for me.
I see it now more as a way to express myself ..

But big ups to you homie.
Vert is the shit!
And Metallica still rules!

jaybird said...

i know you been training a lot lately . so stoked to hear it . i used to love skating along getting in that zone . i miss those days but am i slowly getting back into that. i dont say it but your a inspiration & have motivated me to keep pushing.

Dan said...

Loved skating your ramp.. despite feeling intimidated as fuck. i was gonna skate to the liquor store for beers one time w Franco and your like "hey not without me you guys" the locals were a little intense back in those days. glad you always had our back. without you we would have been jacked for sure..

Joon said...

I made a promise to learn to skate vert a while ago and I've since fallen off that promise.
Going to try again this summer.
Thanks for the post.

Bwad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bwad said...

This is the reason I check out yer site aside from the bikes I wish I could ride. I don't have a bike, but I do skate and I see the similarity -independence, go wherever you want, close yer eyes for a second, the wind, the sound, lots of thangs. Man, keep skating. Vert is gnarley! I've always thought about it and have a list of tricks that I still think about from the first time I drew pictures of them in school... Frontside Indy. Frontside fast plant, bs disasters all the way across..Been watching alot of buster halterman lately. The hardest thing was always trying it one time legit just to get the feeling. But yeah I remember wrecking myself on a rail a couple times and everytime I look at my scar think "man, I probably should have had someone there skating with me." Hopefully I can catch you at the ramp sometime.

mindpill said...

Nice. I quit skating about a year ago, I sucked anyway......

conartist said...

Beautiful piece of writing Max .. that's a hard won skill too.

Greg said...

that was a graat memory Max. I remember listening to ride the lightning and master goin up to the auburn ramp with Yoshi obiashi from Z-Roller, and skatin around Tacoma with him Steve Olsen and my other frinds. I wanna ask witch park u went to where u did that epic frontside blunt on that qtr with 3 ft of vrt. thats effort! U need to come on The Dude Ride this year, I'm sure Jon told ya bout it already.-Walla Walla Gregg-

I Am Anthony Long said...

Roll forever