Wednesday, August 1, 2012

= wes lang = grateful dead

...I'm one of the worst tattooers in the world. But for some reason a while back my friend Wes let me do a tattoo on him that read "grateful fucking dead". this is when i learned that wes was a huge dead fan. So when he told me about the project below i was nothing but stoked for him. Congratulations man... I take full credit, due to the tattoo.
from: WWEESS Over the last 8 months i have been working on artwork for the brand new GRATEFUL DEAD SPRING 1990 box set. This is the thrill of a lifetime for me. There is an 18 cd set along with a beautiful hardcover book, tour program, backstage passes, tickets stubs.........endless. We also are putting out a great line of merchandise, shirts, hoodies, stickers, patches, you name it....pre-order the set here.......The artwork is all on one of my "collage" drawings. I will be posting sections of it over the next couple weeks and will reveal the entire piece by end of the month. Today also marks what would have been Jerry Garcia's 70th birthday....Listen to some DEAD today, i promise it will make your day better. Also look for a super limited signed and numbered edition print of the above indian skull image that i will be releasing in the next day or two exclusively on my site. The DEAD have been a major part of my life since i was a kid. Their music, iconography, attitude, uncompromising creativity, basically everything about them, has been a big part of shaping me as not only an artist, but a person. The music in the set is from the east coast tour in the Spring of 1990, a high point in the Dead's live performances. The band was in great form, performing amazing shows night after night. Totally by accident, the first show i ever saw is in the set. Nassau Coliseum, 3/30/90. My highschool math teacher, Mark Laichtman, was a lifelong Deadhead and he took me and a couple friends to the show. That night changed my life. Mark and I remained great friends until he passed away in 2010. I dedicate what i did for this project to him. I miss you so much buddy.

10 comments:

dave herr said...

that indian skull is great! nice script max.

WhitelinePsycho said...

Max, he's clearly a forebaring friend and just an inspirational artist, I ain't no hardcore Deadhead but that is really some special shit, seriously cool post, cheers.

max schaaf said...

yea...
i'm stoked for wes.
thanks dude.

jason webber said...

I grew up on it too man, what an honor.

AJH said...

all those dirty hippies need to take a bath ... well played Mr. Lang

David Vandiver said...

Awesome! Some of my favorite Dead Songs: Jack Straw, Box of Rain, Direwolf, Brown-Eyed Women...Later, David!

C H A S E said...

Old hells angles photos i found a website
http://acidcow.com/pics/35371-hells-angels-in-the-past-part-2-40-pics.html

lifeisfuct-diekruzen HEAVY KLOTHING said...

the parking lot changed my life,miss the tours.

antihero1972 said...

never likied the dead but been to a few shows for the drugs. fell in love with a hippie chick too once. fuck liquid acid dosed in your eyes!!! but all that said Wes your art work is fucking ruling!!! Max you tat is not so much but does rule in the shitty tat aspect ha,ha

Unknown said...

To be honest!... That must be the greatest worst cover up tattoo I have ever seen!