Wednesday, October 14, 2009

a boy named........harley.

So here is the story.. This is the bike I got my named from... My father bought a Harley Davidson servi-car trike in 1968 and took about a year or so to build a chopper. Now fast forward to the beginning of 1973, the year I was born. My parents lived in a small apartment and wanted to buy a house before I was born. They had very little money for a down payment and the only thing of real value was my Dad's chopper. So he decided to sell it. Being my family is Italian and most carry the first name Anthony including my Dad, they knew they were not going to name me that. So one day joking around my Mom said to my Dad "Why don't we name him Harley that way you'll always have one". Needless to say that was what they named me...

The first photo is my Dad in 1970 about to take my 2 cousins for a ride...

The trike was a 45 Flathead with a 6 over front end, painted in a heavy purple metal flake. The rear seat was custom made of a glassed over desk chair, chrome reverse wheels and custom clear plexiglass rear fenders.

Enjoy!
Harley






thanks harley and thanks john.

9 comments:

MUERTE H.C. said...

So many things right about that story...giving up your toys so your kids and wife can have a better life, smoking while wetsanding, the wood toolbox used as a stand, taking the kids for rides...

The Shafter House said...

Yea Harley!

Gofannon said...

I would've fought bloody with my siblings for a ride in that thing! Lucky kid.

B Harlow said...

that color is changing my life right now.

Matt Ruin said...

I can remember being 14 and hangin at Harley's house. His old man always had something cool in garage.

Chessie (Chesshirecat) said...

I can relate with what your father went through.

My daughter was born in 1972. I brought her home from the hospital, zipped up inside my jacket...I rode my bike home, but only after the hospital forced me to take a taxi around the block. (They wouldn't release us if I was going home on my motorcycle.)

It was a tough time...people wanted me to sell my bike and get a car. I refused...we did a lot of bus riding until she got old enough to ride with me.

CycleDelicCycles said...

Very cool Dad, very cool trike! NICE!

STANDARDJOSH said...

GOD I LOVE THIS SHIT!

Nads said...

Astro slots forever.