Friday, August 15, 2014

fuck! thank you Jay. RIP. No mold was broken cause there was never a mold for this one.

  Its never about being the best, number one, or most likely to succeed. It's always confusing to me when someone who is "gifted" talent wise, becomes more valid than someone who has to give it 100% and is still able to do it with style. I think Cardiel is on that list, and Jay Adams is at the top. I teared up in his dog town and z-boys part, like many others i'm sure. When someone holds so much fire it's hard to imagine them any other way.... How will it end?  Well Yesterday Jay Adams died, and that is sad news, he gave us a lot to be inspired by. I only got to meet him a few times and it was an honor, I will celebrate his life and be thankful for his passion and creativeness that he blessed skateboarding with. Ride on Jay.



8 comments:

jason webber said...

He symbolized the sheer gnarliness end of that spectrum and although I was never that guy I took comfort in knowing it wad always an option. Heres to everyone who's ever had to try.

jaybird said...

he was the king of style ! .

JLuf said...

This is the way I see it, I started skating in 1993, I was 13 and in reality I just sort of blew it the first two years. When I was young I had no idea who Jay Adams was but as I got older it became obvious the guys I looked up to were very inspired by Jay. Like you said guys like Cardiel, Wade also comes to mind as well as so many others. You can go two ways, you can stay ignorant and just assume now is the only time or if you really love something you research the past and respect those who came before you. Jay is not unlike Howling Wolf or any of those young black musicians doing shit their own fucking way which in turn inspired most if not all of the music I came to love 20-40 years later. In today's skateboard world there are tons of carbon copy robots who all do the same tricks but then there are kids like Raney who remind you that the original fire and attitude are still here and still fucking radical. Sorry for the rambling words I hope they made some sense

jason webber said...

Total sense

max schaaf said...

awesome josh. get it. thanks

BUZZARDSALINAS said...

Totally, dudes like Jay , JJ , Corey C , Andy Roy ,Cardiel, all them dudes made things right for me when i was young, the good the bad, the 100 percent fuck u like u said..thanks Max

Davidabl said...

One of the cool things about 4Q is that it's taught me what skating's all about. I don't skate myself. I would imagine that Max's post and Jay Luft's reply nail pretty much all of it.

Dan said...

i feel blessed that i got to hang out with him if only for a short while, the news hit me like a brick in the face. kinda lost my shit. bad